Textbook List -- Fall 2017
Computing Skills and Concepts
- Fluency with Information Technology,
6th edition, by Lawrence Snyder. Pearson.
Visual BASIC Programming
- Visual Basic in Easy Steps,
by Mike McGrath.
Easy Steps Limited, 2016.
Programming Environments for Secondary Education
Programming Environments for Elementary Education
- Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures through
Objects, 8th edition, Brief Version, by Tony Gaddis.
- You do not need to buy the MyProgrammingLab access.
- The Essentials of Computer Organization and Architecture,
4th edition, by Linda Null and Julia Lobur.
Jones and Bartlett Learning, 2014.
- SECTION 1 ONLY -- A course packet available at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls
Introduction to Computing
- An online textbook from zyBooks. Registration and purchase
information will be emailed to students approximately one
week before classes start.
- Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python, 2nd edition, by Bradley N. Miller and
David L. Ranum. Franklin, Beedle & Associates.
ISBN: 978-1-59028-257-1. There is
a free version of the book
- A course packet available at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls.
- Mathematical Structures for Computer Science,
7th edition, by Judith L. Gersting.
W.H.Freeman and Company, 2013.
- An Introduction to Parallel Programming,
1st edition, by Peter S. Pacheco.
Morgan Kaufmann, 2011.
ISBN (regular book): 978-0-12-374260-5.
ISBN (ebook): 978-0-08-092144-0.
CUDA by Example: An Introduction to General-Purpose
1st edition, by Jason Sanders and Edward Kandrot,
Addison-Wesley Professional, 2011.
- A course packet that will be available by mid-August at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls.
- The Object-Oriented Thought Process,
4th edition, by Matt Weisfeld.
User Interface Design ----- UPDATED
- The Design of Everyday Things,
Revised and Expanded Edition, by Donald Norman.
- Database Systems, The Complete Book,
2nd edition, by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeff Ullman,
and Jennifer Widom.
- Computer Networks: A Systems Approach,
5th edition, by Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie.
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms,
3rd edition, by Anany Levitin.
Artificial Intelligence ----- UPDATED
- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach,
3rd edition, by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.
Translation of Programming Languages
- Basics of Compiler Design,
by Torben Mogensen.
The book will be available free as a pdf file on the
- (optional) There is a shorter version of the textbook,
Introduction of Compiler Design,
available for purchase in print
Real-Time Embedded Systems
- Building Parallel, Embedded, and Real-Time
Applications with Ada,
by John McCormick, Frank Singhoff, and Jerome Hugues.
Cambridge University Press.
(the old East Gym)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
ph. (319) 273-2618
fax (319) 273-7123
With distributed computing, the devil is in the details. That's
because a programmer is dealing with all sorts of different hardware
and networks. Meshing all of these elements presents a significant
challenge that Paul Gray, associate professor of computer
science, is leading the charge to solve...